Happy PPL Day to me

July 9 marks the one year anniversary of my successful PPL flight test. An accounting of achievements over the past year tells me more about the sad state of my financial affairs rather than any lack of enthusiasm for doing things. I've gained two ratings (172 rating came after my checkride), flown friends and family overhead Hamilton city, been on a couple of short trips around the Waikato/Bay of Plenty area and even flown in another country!

I've flown 24.9 hours since my PPL arrived, and looking back that seems like a lot more hours than it was.

Now I guess I should start practicing for my Biennial Flight Review, I have 12 months to get ready. :-)

Comments

Chris Nielsen said…
Excellent! You fly bloody well for someone who's had a license for 1 year!
A said…
Ha! A year ago I was reading about your flight test in prep for mine a couple of weeks later. Time flies!

Ditto about the financial affairs and I'd add that I've developed an insane interest in the weather leading up to weekends...

12 months to our BFR's... so when was the last time you practiced a PFL or compass turns? I know what I'll be doing this weekend...

Great blog - keep it up!
Jack said…
Congratulations on the one year anniversary Euan! I've only been at it slightly more than five years.
Rodney said…
Congratulations!
Flyinkiwi said…
Anthony: Likewise I share your obsession with the weather. I am fortunate enough to have access to an excellent met website which is far more accurate than the print media. Compass turns? Trust me, after competing regionally and nationally doing them, I could do them easily. As for PFLs, thats the first thing on my agenda for practice when I find more money for flying. That and glide approaches, low flying, precautionary landings, turns around a point, turns around a line feature... :)

Everyone: Thanks for the congratulations, but it seems odd to be congratulated for the passing of time. I guess in hindsight after the initial spending on gaining your license, maintaining it tends to cost a lot more than what us modest earners can afford, so we use our money to go places and share the experience of flight, rather than practice basic maneuvers. I am actually looking forward to my BFR, I just hope that I haven't taken a giant leap backwards or it will be a rude awakening.
Chris Nielsen said…
2 things:

1) You can't fail a BFR :)

2) What the hell is a PFL???
Flyinkiwi said…
Chris: PFL = FLWOP :)