Elessay!

Or more commonly known as LSA (Light Sport Aircraft).  Well I said earlier I would complete my Tecnam P2008 rating and finally I have.

A point of interest popped up while I was studying the aircraft manual (of which parts are still in Italian), the Tecnam P2008 has no vacuum system.  All the instruments which would normally be vacuum gyro stabilized are fully electronic.  I believe this was done in that never ending search to reduce production weight as much as possible.  Considering the P2008 has all metal wings and tailplane I can see why.  The interior is fairly spartan as a result.  For starters it seems Tecnam thought seat belt pretensioners would be too heavy so didn't include them.  At least the club got its way and the flap switch was moved to a more believable location that is easier to reach.

The 912UL engine has more in common with a car engine than the ubiquitous Lycoming/Continentals found in GA aircraft.  I've explained a little previously about the procedures but they definitely start and stop different.  As long as you follow the start procedure properly it fires like a car engine.  And the rather abrupt stop when you shutdown is a little disconcerting but I'm told perfectly normal for such a high compression engine.  You'd think that with a modern aircraft with electronic ignition (no magnetos!) and water cooling (the heads are partially liquid cooled) it would have fuel injection but it has dual carburetors sitting on top of the cylinder heads.  Maybe it was a weight saving decision?  Who knows?

And I want to add here that my previous issues with taxiing appear to have evaporated, with a touch of forethought and planning it is no harder to taxi that a 172.  Instructor Charlotte did tell me about the dreaded "circle of shame" if you get the nosewheel turned too far with too low a speed to straighten it so the only course of action is to continue turning until you get up enough speed/momentum to straighten it.  And if you're wondering yes I did one.

I've also been cured of my steam gauge mentality.  Charlotte had some sticky note paper and obscured the altimeter so I had to use the EFIS to determine my height.  Slowly I am getting the hang of it but I do note it still takes time for me to focus in on the area of the EFIS with the altitude tape, recognize it for what it is and comprehend what it is telling me.  It kind of takes me back to my early flying lessons where I struggled to comprehend the steam gauges!

Comments

LocalFlightEast said…
Sounds fun ! Once I get my PPL I'm determined to fly in every type of plane I can manage.

Glad to see that I'm not the only person whose instructor likes the "post it note approach" to flight training. I work in an office and I swear I get twitchy everytime I see one now :)

Happy flying
WMAP
LocalFlightEast said…
Sounds fun, what's the useable payload when compared to somethign the the 172?

I'm determined to fly in any and every type of plane I can manage once I get my PPL!

ALso glad to see that I'm not the only one with an instructor who favours the "post it note approach" to flight training !
Think I'm geetting a Pavlovian response to seeing a pack of them on my desk!!!
ZK-JPY said…
Congrats... They look like a bit of fun to fly. And I know what you mean about the start and stop... that "thunk" when it stops turning can be a little disconcerting at first... a bit like the diesel powered 172's that I flew in the UK!


ps. I'm sure you actually meant to type "The dreaded Instructor Charlotte..." She can be a hard task master! ;)
Flyinkiwi said…
LFE: Yeah it's amazing how they do things you curse about but its for you own good.

Jared: Yes she can be tough but aren't all young B Cats like that?
Flyinkiwi said…
LFE: the empty weight of the P2008 is 350kg (770lbs) and the MAUW is 600kg (1320lbs) so the useable payload is 250kg (550lbs). Considering the engine only burns 17 litres per hour (4.49USgal) you don't need to carry a lot of gas to get places at 105kias.